CQWW CW Contest Results
k3iu

Please post your results here.

Very low effort from here… a couple hours on Sat and made a few Qs on 40 and 80 on Sunday early morning. 73, Ken K3IU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Call: K3IU
Operator(s): K3IU

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: RI
Operating Time (hrs): 2.4

Summary:
       QSOs  Zones  Countries
------------------------------
Total:  191    48      123  Total Score = 79,857


Nov. 12 Mtg agenda item addition – our club’s ARRL Club Competition roster eligibility list not submitted
W1WBB

Urgent* Sat. Nov 12 Mtg Agenda item — our club’s ARRL Club Competition roster eligibility list submission update required by revised ARRL Contest Club rules is NOT current. We don’t presently appear on the updated list — see here: http://contest-clubs.arrl.org/viewlists.php

After thorough review of these very recently revised rules I suggest we now submit as a “Local Club” (10 or fewer log entries per event typically, NOT overall club members) to more accurately reflect our group’s make-up and geography (as our small membership resides pretty much entirely within the prescribed Local Club “circle” which includes all of RI and eastern CT, assuming a circle center on CT-RI state line at about Rt 165 [Grid Square FN41co]). In the rare case that more than 10 of our members submit a log for any individual contest, ARRL’s Log Checking software will now **automatically** upgrade our submissions to the “Medium” Club category *for that specific ARRL event only*.  But for the very significant majority of ARRL contests our club members enter, our CTRI CG should be categorized where we belong — as a “Local” contest club.

Since our revised roster submission doesn’t appear at all on the above indicated Club Competition eligibility list we need to take action ASAP to ensure our scores will count towards CTRI CG for all current/future ARRL contests…as of now they do not!  Further info from ARRL here: http://www.arrl.org/contest-club-tools

73, Bill W1WBB

CTRI Contest Group
CTRI Contest Group avatar

K1DM will be out of town.

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Pat Atwood <patrickatwood> wrote:

Thank you James,

John (XX) – do you have an alternate venue we can use?

I think it was Lars who said he could do a presentation on the RBN. I added him to the email chain. I still can’t remember what I said I could present on. I remember a conversation about meteor scatter but I think it had more to do with weak-signal modes on HF, but I’m not sure. Does anyone remember?

If John, W1AN and John, W1XX are willing to brief us on those two topics (CQWW and NPOTA, respectively, that would be great.

I’ll talk about the invitation we received for a speaker at the HCRA meeting, as well as a couple of other things I’ve been thinking about.

Anything else?

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: James Setzler [mailto:jms_k1sd]
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2016 3:58 PM
To: ‘Pat Atwood’; ‘Michael McKaughan’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’; Bill Bliss W1WBB; CTRI Web Post (WA1RR); Jim Bowman; John Lindholm; John Spigel W1AN; K3IU Ken Wagner; KI1G Rick; Mike Visich KB1RFJ; Bob Beaudet W1YRC
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Pat,

Regarding the 11/12 meeting. John XX has spoken of a possible alternative venue. The NK Library lower conference room only holds 10 and no snacks. If we can find a better location, great. But if we do change I’d like to know ASAP so I can tell the library we don’t need the room. I have been very politely scolded that I didn’t let them know on a previous occasion.

“Using the Reverse Beacon Network in Contesting” was an agenda item for the last meeting – which became OBE. I would love to see a demonstration of RBN. As well as how best to set up your spotting filters, at the cluster or within N1MM, or?

We should discuss the efforts and results to date of our NPOTA activations and any further plans until year’s end.

I can give a brief Contest Manager’s Report. John AN can tell us about CQWWSSB

Hope to see y’all on the 12th; wherever.

James

From: Pat Atwood [mailto:patrickatwood]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 4:04 AM
To: ‘Michael McKaughan’; ‘Larry Krainson’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for the invitation! I recall one of our members coming to your meeting back then, though I don’t remember who it was. Our next club meeting is November 12, and I’ve put this on the agenda. I’m certain we won’t have trouble finding someone who would be willing to give a presentation to your club. Once I get a volunteer (it may be me) I’ll coordinate the meeting date with you.

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: Michael McKaughan [mailto:k1dm.dr.michael]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 9:25 PM
To: Larry Krainson; Atwood, Pat (NG1G)
Cc: James Setzler K1SD; McKaughan, Mom & Doc
Subject: Re: CTRI Contest Group

Larry,

I am forwarding this to our new President, NG1G, so he can deal with officially. Mike, K1DM

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Larry Krainson <wb1dby> wrote:

Hi,

Around 8 to 10 years ago the CTRI group came out and gave a talk at the Hampden County Radio Assn meeting.

I’m wondering if you or someone in the club would be interested in doing so again?

The HCRA meets the first Friday of each month excluding July and August. I’m starting to fill the 2017 meeting dates and currently have open January and March – June.

The HCRA meets the first Friday of every month at Holyoke Hospital at 7:30 pm. The web site is: www.hcra.org and we’re on Facebook too. We offer to take our guest speaker out to dinner right before the meeting too.

Would you guys be interested in coming out and speaking and maybe showing some slides or video or you all in action?

We have a diverse group of hams in the club and usually average 40 – 50 at each meeting. Many chase DX, contest, do digital and much more.

Please let me know if you’d be interested and what month would work for you.

Thank you and 73,

Larry, W1AST

wb1dby

CTRI Contest Group
CTRI Contest Group avatar

Sounds like another agenda item.

From: Mike Visich [mailto:visich4zoo@cox.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2016 2:39 PM
To: ‘Pat Atwood’; ‘James Setzler’; ‘Michael McKaughan’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’; ‘Bill Bliss W1WBB’; ‘CTRI Web Post (WA1RR)’; ‘Jim Bowman’; ‘John Lindholm’; ‘John Spigel W1AN’; ‘K3IU Ken Wagner’; ‘KI1G Rick’; ‘Bob Beaudet W1YRC’; ke1j@yccc.org
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

I’ve got PICTURES of the CTRI President on a Concrete Buggy I’m willing to share!

From: Pat Atwood [mailto:patrickatwood]
Sent: Sunday, November 6, 2016 11:56 AM
To: ‘James Setzler’ <jms_k1sd>; ‘Michael McKaughan’ <k1dm.dr.michael>
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’ <k1sd>; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’ <k1dm>; ‘Bill Bliss W1WBB’ <wbliss1>; ‘CTRI Web Post (WA1RR)’ <wigu720fiqu>; ‘Jim Bowman’ <ks1j>; ‘John Lindholm’ <w1xx>; ‘John Spigel W1AN’ <w1an>; ‘K3IU Ken Wagner’ <kenk3iu>; ‘KI1G Rick’ <ki1g>; ‘Mike Visich KB1RFJ’ <visich4zoo>; ‘Bob Beaudet W1YRC’ <w1yrc>; ke1j
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Thank you James,

John (XX) – do you have an alternate venue we can use?

I think it was Lars who said he could do a presentation on the RBN. I added him to the email chain. I still can’t remember what I said I could present on. I remember a conversation about meteor scatter but I think it had more to do with weak-signal modes on HF, but I’m not sure. Does anyone remember?

If John, W1AN and John, W1XX are willing to brief us on those two topics (CQWW and NPOTA, respectively, that would be great.

I’ll talk about the invitation we received for a speaker at the HCRA meeting, as well as a couple of other things I’ve been thinking about.

Anything else?

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: James Setzler [mailto:jms_k1sd]
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2016 3:58 PM
To: ‘Pat Atwood’; ‘Michael McKaughan’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’; Bill Bliss W1WBB; CTRI Web Post (WA1RR); Jim Bowman; John Lindholm; John Spigel W1AN; K3IU Ken Wagner; KI1G Rick; Mike Visich KB1RFJ; Bob Beaudet W1YRC
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Pat,

Regarding the 11/12 meeting. John XX has spoken of a possible alternative venue. The NK Library lower conference room only holds 10 and no snacks. If we can find a better location, great. But if we do change I’d like to know ASAP so I can tell the library we don’t need the room. I have been very politely scolded that I didn’t let them know on a previous occasion.

“Using the Reverse Beacon Network in Contesting” was an agenda item for the last meeting – which became OBE. I would love to see a demonstration of RBN. As well as how best to set up your spotting filters, at the cluster or within N1MM, or?

We should discuss the efforts and results to date of our NPOTA activations and any further plans until year’s end.

I can give a brief Contest Manager’s Report. John AN can tell us about CQWWSSB

Hope to see y’all on the 12th; wherever.

James

From: Pat Atwood [mailto:patrickatwood]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 4:04 AM
To: ‘Michael McKaughan’; ‘Larry Krainson’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for the invitation! I recall one of our members coming to your meeting back then, though I don’t remember who it was. Our next club meeting is November 12, and I’ve put this on the agenda. I’m certain we won’t have trouble finding someone who would be willing to give a presentation to your club. Once I get a volunteer (it may be me) I’ll coordinate the meeting date with you.

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: Michael McKaughan [mailto:k1dm.dr.michael]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 9:25 PM
To: Larry Krainson; Atwood, Pat (NG1G)
Cc: James Setzler K1SD; McKaughan, Mom & Doc
Subject: Re: CTRI Contest Group

Larry,

I am forwarding this to our new President, NG1G, so he can deal with officially. Mike, K1DM

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Larry Krainson <wb1dby> wrote:

Hi,

Around 8 to 10 years ago the CTRI group came out and gave a talk at the Hampden County Radio Assn meeting.

I’m wondering if you or someone in the club would be interested in doing so again?

The HCRA meets the first Friday of each month excluding July and August. I’m starting to fill the 2017 meeting dates and currently have open January and March – June.

The HCRA meets the first Friday of every month at Holyoke Hospital at 7:30 pm. The web site is: www.hcra.org and we’re on Facebook too. We offer to take our guest speaker out to dinner right before the meeting too.

Would you guys be interested in coming out and speaking and maybe showing some slides or video or you all in action?

We have a diverse group of hams in the club and usually average 40 – 50 at each meeting. Many chase DX, contest, do digital and much more.

Please let me know if you’d be interested and what month would work for you.

Thank you and 73,

Larry, W1AST

wb1dby

CTRI Contest Group
CTRI Contest Group avatar

I’ve got PICTURES of the CTRI President on a Concrete Buggy I’m willing to share!

From: Pat Atwood [mailto:patrickatwood@verizon.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 6, 2016 11:56 AM
To: ‘James Setzler’ <jms_k1sd@verizon.net>; ‘Michael McKaughan’ <k1dm.dr.michael@gmail.com>
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’ <k1sd@arrl.net>; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’ <k1dm@arrl.net>; ‘Bill Bliss W1WBB’ <wbliss1@cox.net>; ‘CTRI Web Post (WA1RR)’ <>; ‘Jim Bowman’ <ks1j@arrl.net>; ‘John Lindholm’ <w1xx@cox.net>; ‘John Spigel W1AN’ <w1an@dxusa.net>; ‘K3IU Ken Wagner’ <kenk3iu@cox.net>; ‘KI1G Rick’ <ki1g@verizon.net>; ‘Mike Visich KB1RFJ’ <visich4zoo@cox.net>; ‘Bob Beaudet W1YRC’ <w1yrc@verizon.net>; ke1j@yccc.org
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Thank you James,

John (XX) – do you have an alternate venue we can use?

I think it was Lars who said he could do a presentation on the RBN. I added him to the email chain. I still can’t remember what I said I could present on. I remember a conversation about meteor scatter but I think it had more to do with weak-signal modes on HF, but I’m not sure. Does anyone remember?

If John, W1AN and John, W1XX are willing to brief us on those two topics (CQWW and NPOTA, respectively, that would be great.

I’ll talk about the invitation we received for a speaker at the HCRA meeting, as well as a couple of other things I’ve been thinking about.

Anything else?

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: James Setzler [mailto:jms_k1sd]
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2016 3:58 PM
To: ‘Pat Atwood’; ‘Michael McKaughan’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’; Bill Bliss W1WBB; CTRI Web Post (WA1RR); Jim Bowman; John Lindholm; John Spigel W1AN; K3IU Ken Wagner; KI1G Rick; Mike Visich KB1RFJ; Bob Beaudet W1YRC
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Pat,

Regarding the 11/12 meeting. John XX has spoken of a possible alternative venue. The NK Library lower conference room only holds 10 and no snacks. If we can find a better location, great. But if we do change I’d like to know ASAP so I can tell the library we don’t need the room. I have been very politely scolded that I didn’t let them know on a previous occasion.

“Using the Reverse Beacon Network in Contesting” was an agenda item for the last meeting – which became OBE. I would love to see a demonstration of RBN. As well as how best to set up your spotting filters, at the cluster or within N1MM, or?

We should discuss the efforts and results to date of our NPOTA activations and any further plans until year’s end.

I can give a brief Contest Manager’s Report. John AN can tell us about CQWWSSB

Hope to see y’all on the 12th; wherever.

James

From: Pat Atwood [mailto:patrickatwood]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 4:04 AM
To: ‘Michael McKaughan’; ‘Larry Krainson’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for the invitation! I recall one of our members coming to your meeting back then, though I don’t remember who it was. Our next club meeting is November 12, and I’ve put this on the agenda. I’m certain we won’t have trouble finding someone who would be willing to give a presentation to your club. Once I get a volunteer (it may be me) I’ll coordinate the meeting date with you.

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: Michael McKaughan [mailto:k1dm.dr.michael]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 9:25 PM
To: Larry Krainson; Atwood, Pat (NG1G)
Cc: James Setzler K1SD; McKaughan, Mom & Doc
Subject: Re: CTRI Contest Group

Larry,

I am forwarding this to our new President, NG1G, so he can deal with officially. Mike, K1DM

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Larry Krainson <wb1dby> wrote:

Hi,

Around 8 to 10 years ago the CTRI group came out and gave a talk at the Hampden County Radio Assn meeting.

I’m wondering if you or someone in the club would be interested in doing so again?

The HCRA meets the first Friday of each month excluding July and August. I’m starting to fill the 2017 meeting dates and currently have open January and March – June.

The HCRA meets the first Friday of every month at Holyoke Hospital at 7:30 pm. The web site is: www.hcra.org and we’re on Facebook too. We offer to take our guest speaker out to dinner right before the meeting too.

Would you guys be interested in coming out and speaking and maybe showing some slides or video or you all in action?

We have a diverse group of hams in the club and usually average 40 – 50 at each meeting. Many chase DX, contest, do digital and much more.

Please let me know if you’d be interested and what month would work for you.

Thank you and 73,

Larry, W1AST

wb1dby

CTRI Contest Group
CTRI Contest Group avatar

Pat,

I’m leaving for Sweden tonight so wont make it to the meeting.

73,

Lars KE1J

From: Pat Atwood <patrickatwood@verizon.net>
Date: Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 11:55 AM
To: ‘James Setzler’ <jms_k1sd@verizon.net>, ‘Michael McKaughan’ <k1dm.dr.michael@gmail.com>
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’ <k1sd@arrl.net>, "’McKaughan, Mom & Doc’" <k1dm@arrl.net>, ‘Bill Bliss W1WBB’ <wbliss1@cox.net>, "’CTRI Web Post (WA1RR)’" <>, ‘Jim Bowman’ <ks1j@arrl.net>, ‘John Lindholm’ <w1xx@cox.net>, ‘John Spigel W1AN’ <w1an@dxusa.net>, ‘K3IU Ken Wagner’ <kenk3iu@cox.net>, ‘KI1G Rick’ <ki1g@verizon.net>, ‘Mike Visich KB1RFJ’ <visich4zoo@cox.net>, ‘Bob Beaudet W1YRC’ <w1yrc@verizon.net>, <ke1j@yccc.org>
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Thank you James,

John (XX) – do you have an alternate venue we can use?

I think it was Lars who said he could do a presentation on the RBN. I added him to the email chain. I still can’t remember what I said I could present on. I remember a conversation about meteor scatter but I think it had more to do with weak-signal modes on HF, but I’m not sure. Does anyone remember?

If John, W1AN and John, W1XX are willing to brief us on those two topics (CQWW and NPOTA, respectively, that would be great.

I’ll talk about the invitation we received for a speaker at the HCRA meeting, as well as a couple of other things I’ve been thinking about.

Anything else?

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: James Setzler [mailto:jms_k1sd@verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2016 3:58 PM
To: ‘Pat Atwood’; ‘Michael McKaughan’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’; Bill Bliss W1WBB; CTRI Web Post (WA1RR); Jim Bowman; John Lindholm; John Spigel W1AN; K3IU Ken Wagner; KI1G Rick; Mike Visich KB1RFJ; Bob Beaudet W1YRC
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Pat,

Regarding the 11/12 meeting. John XX has spoken of a possible alternative venue. The NK Library lower conference room only holds 10 and no snacks. If we can find a better location, great. But if we do change I’d like to know ASAP so I can tell the library we don’t need the room. I have been very politely scolded that I didn’t let them know on a previous occasion.

“Using the Reverse Beacon Network in Contesting” was an agenda item for the last meeting – which became OBE. I would love to see a demonstration of RBN. As well as how best to set up your spotting filters, at the cluster or within N1MM, or?

We should discuss the efforts and results to date of our NPOTA activations and any further plans until year’s end.

I can give a brief Contest Manager’s Report. John AN can tell us about CQWWSSB

Hope to see y’all on the 12th; wherever.

James

From: Pat Atwood [mailto:patrickatwood]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 4:04 AM
To: ‘Michael McKaughan’; ‘Larry Krainson’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for the invitation! I recall one of our members coming to your meeting back then, though I don’t remember who it was. Our next club meeting is November 12, and I’ve put this on the agenda. I’m certain we won’t have trouble finding someone who would be willing to give a presentation to your club. Once I get a volunteer (it may be me) I’ll coordinate the meeting date with you.

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: Michael McKaughan [mailto:k1dm.dr.michael]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 9:25 PM
To: Larry Krainson; Atwood, Pat (NG1G)
Cc: James Setzler K1SD; McKaughan, Mom & Doc
Subject: Re: CTRI Contest Group

Larry,

I am forwarding this to our new President, NG1G, so he can deal with officially. Mike, K1DM

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Larry Krainson <wb1dby> wrote:

Hi,

Around 8 to 10 years ago the CTRI group came out and gave a talk at the Hampden County Radio Assn meeting.

I’m wondering if you or someone in the club would be interested in doing so again?

The HCRA meets the first Friday of each month excluding July and August. I’m starting to fill the 2017 meeting dates and currently have open January and March – June.

The HCRA meets the first Friday of every month at Holyoke Hospital at 7:30 pm. The web site is: www.hcra.org and we’re on Facebook too. We offer to take our guest speaker out to dinner right before the meeting too.

Would you guys be interested in coming out and speaking and maybe showing some slides or video or you all in action?

We have a diverse group of hams in the club and usually average 40 – 50 at each meeting. Many chase DX, contest, do digital and much more.

Please let me know if you’d be interested and what month would work for you.

Thank you and 73,

Larry, W1AST

wb1dby

CTRI Contest Group
CTRI Contest Group avatar

Thank you James,

John (XX) – do you have an alternate venue we can use?

I think it was Lars who said he could do a presentation on the RBN. I added him to the email chain. I still can’t remember what I said I could present on. I remember a conversation about meteor scatter but I think it had more to do with weak-signal modes on HF, but I’m not sure. Does anyone remember?

If John, W1AN and John, W1XX are willing to brief us on those two topics (CQWW and NPOTA, respectively, that would be great.

I’ll talk about the invitation we received for a speaker at the HCRA meeting, as well as a couple of other things I’ve been thinking about.

Anything else?

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: James Setzler [mailto:jms_k1sd@verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2016 3:58 PM
To: ‘Pat Atwood’; ‘Michael McKaughan’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’; Bill Bliss W1WBB; CTRI Web Post (WA1RR); Jim Bowman; John Lindholm; John Spigel W1AN; K3IU Ken Wagner; KI1G Rick; Mike Visich KB1RFJ; Bob Beaudet W1YRC
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Pat,

Regarding the 11/12 meeting. John XX has spoken of a possible alternative venue. The NK Library lower conference room only holds 10 and no snacks. If we can find a better location, great. But if we do change I’d like to know ASAP so I can tell the library we don’t need the room. I have been very politely scolded that I didn’t let them know on a previous occasion.

“Using the Reverse Beacon Network in Contesting” was an agenda item for the last meeting – which became OBE. I would love to see a demonstration of RBN. As well as how best to set up your spotting filters, at the cluster or within N1MM, or?

We should discuss the efforts and results to date of our NPOTA activations and any further plans until year’s end.

I can give a brief Contest Manager’s Report. John AN can tell us about CQWWSSB

Hope to see y’all on the 12th; wherever.

James

From: Pat Atwood [mailto:patrickatwood]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 4:04 AM
To: ‘Michael McKaughan’; ‘Larry Krainson’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for the invitation! I recall one of our members coming to your meeting back then, though I don’t remember who it was. Our next club meeting is November 12, and I’ve put this on the agenda. I’m certain we won’t have trouble finding someone who would be willing to give a presentation to your club. Once I get a volunteer (it may be me) I’ll coordinate the meeting date with you.

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: Michael McKaughan [mailto:k1dm.dr.michael]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 9:25 PM
To: Larry Krainson; Atwood, Pat (NG1G)
Cc: James Setzler K1SD; McKaughan, Mom & Doc
Subject: Re: CTRI Contest Group

Larry,

I am forwarding this to our new President, NG1G, so he can deal with officially. Mike, K1DM

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Larry Krainson <wb1dby> wrote:

Hi,

Around 8 to 10 years ago the CTRI group came out and gave a talk at the Hampden County Radio Assn meeting.

I’m wondering if you or someone in the club would be interested in doing so again?

The HCRA meets the first Friday of each month excluding July and August. I’m starting to fill the 2017 meeting dates and currently have open January and March – June.

The HCRA meets the first Friday of every month at Holyoke Hospital at 7:30 pm. The web site is: www.hcra.org and we’re on Facebook too. We offer to take our guest speaker out to dinner right before the meeting too.

Would you guys be interested in coming out and speaking and maybe showing some slides or video or you all in action?

We have a diverse group of hams in the club and usually average 40 – 50 at each meeting. Many chase DX, contest, do digital and much more.

Please let me know if you’d be interested and what month would work for you.

Thank you and 73,

Larry, W1AST

wb1dby

NPOTA “near” Activation of NM22
NPOTA “near” Activation of NM22 avatar

On Thursday 29 September 2016 the NPOTA Activation Team of John W1XX, John W1AN, Mike K1DM and James K1SD assembled at Roger Williams National Memorial in Providence to activate the National Park Service Centennial site NM22.

The entire expedition was an arousing success. We were able to locate the site, secure an operating position, assemble a station, erect the antenna, get on the air, transmit, and get a signal report! Too bad the report was from Ken K3IU after we called him, told him to get on the air, and listen for our signal. Kinda weak.

The Team felt that all logistical elements were satisfied, all equipment operation was verified and acceptable provisions were attainable. We declared VICTORY, decamped and vowed to return.

Here are a few pictures.

James K1SD

K1DM's car mounted vertical
K1DM’s car mounted vertical

20160929_113149

W1AN and W1XX
W1AN and W1XX

20160929_113012

NPOTA at NM22
NPOTA at NM22

CTRI Contest Group
CTRI Contest Group avatar

Pat,

Regarding the 11/12 meeting. John XX has spoken of a possible alternative venue. The NK Library lower conference room only holds 10 and no snacks. If we can find a better location, great. But if we do change I’d like to know ASAP so I can tell the library we don’t need the room. I have been very politely scolded that I didn’t let them know on a previous occasion.

“Using the Reverse Beacon Network in Contesting” was an agenda item for the last meeting – which became OBE. I would love to see a demonstration of RBN. As well as how best to set up your spotting filters, at the cluster or within N1MM, or?

We should discuss the efforts and results to date of our NPOTA activations and any further plans until year’s end.

I can give a brief Contest Manager’s Report. John AN can tell us about CQWWSSB

Hope to see y’all on the 12th; wherever.

James

From: Pat Atwood [mailto:patrickatwood@verizon.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 4:04 AM
To: ‘Michael McKaughan’; ‘Larry Krainson’
Cc: ‘James Setzler K1SD’; ‘McKaughan, Mom & Doc’
Subject: RE: CTRI Contest Group

Hi Larry,

Thank you very much for the invitation! I recall one of our members coming to your meeting back then, though I don’t remember who it was. Our next club meeting is November 12, and I’ve put this on the agenda. I’m certain we won’t have trouble finding someone who would be willing to give a presentation to your club. Once I get a volunteer (it may be me) I’ll coordinate the meeting date with you.

73,

Pat, NG1G

From: Michael McKaughan [mailto:k1dm.dr.michael]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 9:25 PM
To: Larry Krainson; Atwood, Pat (NG1G)
Cc: James Setzler K1SD; McKaughan, Mom & Doc
Subject: Re: CTRI Contest Group

Larry,

I am forwarding this to our new President, NG1G, so he can deal with officially. Mike, K1DM

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Larry Krainson <wb1dby> wrote:

Hi,

Around 8 to 10 years ago the CTRI group came out and gave a talk at the Hampden County Radio Assn meeting.

I’m wondering if you or someone in the club would be interested in doing so again?

The HCRA meets the first Friday of each month excluding July and August. I’m starting to fill the 2017 meeting dates and currently have open January and March – June.

The HCRA meets the first Friday of every month at Holyoke Hospital at 7:30 pm. The web site is: www.hcra.org and we’re on Facebook too. We offer to take our guest speaker out to dinner right before the meeting too.

Would you guys be interested in coming out and speaking and maybe showing some slides or video or you all in action?

We have a diverse group of hams in the club and usually average 40 – 50 at each meeting. Many chase DX, contest, do digital and much more.

Please let me know if you’d be interested and what month would work for you.

Thank you and 73,

Larry, W1AST

wb1dby

NPOTA NM22 6 October 2016 PIX
NPOTA NM22  6 October 2016 PIX avatar

Here are some of the pictures I took of the activation of Rogers Williams National Memorial in Providence. Operators: W1XX, K1DM, W1AN, and K1SD (not pictured)
James

20161006_133848

20161006_133831

20161006_113551

20161006_113534

20161006_113521

20161006_113506

NPOTA NM22 Activation 6 October 2016
NPOTA NM22 Activation 6 October 2016
W1XX's 20 vertical dipole.
W1XX’s 20 vertical dipole.